Monday, October 5, 2009

Cake




So I was very brave and decided to try making a tiered fondant cake for my mom's 70th birthday. I had never made a tiered cake. I had never even made a round cake...wait no, I made one in high school. Anyway, I have only made fondant one other time (for Cambree's birthday). I blame Ace of Cakes on the food network. Mike and I are addicted to that show. They make it look so easy. So, I started making plans for a cake. My first step was to spend lots and lots of money on pans. Really I didn't spend a lot. I bought a set at JoAnns and used my 40% off coupon, so they were $28. Plus I bought a few other supplies. I tried a practice cake last week. It was a white chocolate cake and raspberry buttercream frosting. It wasn't very good. I used a raspberry extract...not good. So, I decided to make a almond butter cake with Almond Buttercream frosting. I didn't make a practice cake to see how it would turn out. Very brave. I think it turned out great though. I spent the whole day friday trying to put it all together. My abs are so sore from kneading the fondant for hours. It is a pretty good workout. There were a few things that were not quite as easy as I thought they would be, but for my first cake I think I did pretty good. I have learned a few things so the next cake will look even better. So if anyone needs a cake, let me know.

2 comments:

  1. I think it looks amazing!!! I love ace of cakes.. they make it looks so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap..you are awesome!!! Seriously, awesome!!

    ReplyDelete